A lot of people today are not aware about the danger of high cholesterol levels. The number of individuals who have no idea what cholesterols are is definitely alarming. It is important for every person to increase his knowledge about high cholesterol.
What Causes High Cholesterol?
- Poor nutrition is one of the main causes why people suffer from high cholesterol. It is sad news that there are so many unhealthy foods which are being sold in the market. Foods that are very rich in saturated fat can really increase the cholesterol levels in the blood. There are so many products which are rich in saturated fat. Most of them are meat products that are very accessible in grocery stores. Examples of these foods are sausages, bacon, and canned goods. Other foods that are rich in saturated fat include pies, doughnuts, and biscuits.
- Unhealthy lifestyle can also increase the levels of cholesterol in the body. People who sit around all day without doing any physical exercises are bound to suffer from high cholesterol. Professionals who spend most of their work days while sitting down have significantly higher levels of bad cholesterol.
- Bad vices such as smoking and alcoholism also cause high cholesterol levels. The content in most liquors are very dangerous especially to the liver. Smokers and alcoholics have higher cholesterol levels than those who do not have any vices.
Risk of Having High Cholesterol
- The risk of high cholesterol levels usually comes with a person’s lineage. If he had grandparents or parents that have suffered coronary heart diseases and other complications, he has a greater risk of high cholesterol. People who also have close family members that have which cholesterol levels have greater chances of suffering the same fate.
- Most people are unaware that males have greater chances of suffering from high cholesterol levels than woman. Aside from that fact, most men are not that attentive when it comes to healthy lifestyles. Men would often engage in dangerous vices such as alcoholism. Of course, males love to eat more than women, and that is why they are exposed to heavier risks.
- Women whose menopause occurs at very early periods in their lives are also risked to high cholesterol levels.
- Age is also another factor when it comes to risks. As a person gets older, his chances of developing various diseases increase. The body becomes weaker and more immune to high levels of cholesterol as it becomes older. Elders also have a hard time maintaining active and healthy lifestyles because they are simply too weak or they are suffering from other diseases.
How is High Cholesterol Determined?
People are advised to consult their doctors for diagnosis. There are various medical methods in determining the levels of cholesterol. One of the simplest methods is the blood test. Before a person undergoes a blood test, he will be advised not to eat anything for twelve hours before the blood is taken. Only water is allowed to be partaken. For more accurate results, some people are not advised to drink liquids. Doctors will take a blood sample by using either a syringe or just by pricking the finger. The sample of blood will be tested for cholesterol levels.
How is High Cholesterol Treated?
Even if high cholesterol levels can be very serious, it is possible to treat them. The following are some of the best tips in lowering the levels of bad cholesterol.
- Physical exercises are the best methods if a person really wants to get healthier. Doing healthy exercise will help eliminate all the levels of bad cholesterol in the body. Patients might want to ask their physicians about a few routines that they could do at home. There are a particularly good number of cardiovascular and strength exercises that are very effective. These routines should be done regularly in order for the best results to be achieved.
- Good nutrition is also very recommendable. Fruits and vegetables can really eliminate those harmful cholesterols from the body. Aside from that, they can also give people sufficient energy when it comes to exercises. Other healthy foods such as whole grains and oats are also very healthy. They are rich in fibers and they can clean the intestinal tracks from bad cholesterol. These healthy foods should always be included in a person’s daily diet. Of course, people might want to stop eating the junk foods that they used to eat. Delicious treats such as ice cream, pizza, doughnuts, and biscuits should only be eaten once in a while.
- Having a healthy lifestyle is also important. People might want to stop smoking or drinking liquor. Eliminating those vices from their daily activities will definitely do them good.
- Finally, plenty of rest should always be considered. Seven to eight hours of sleep will really improve the body’s ability to eliminate high levels of cholesterol.